A Behavioral Perspective on Theory of Mind
Filmed in 2022
Abstract: Dr. Henry Schlinger describes the history of Theory of Mind (ToM), different ways it is defined, classic tests used to evaluate ToM, and provides a behavior-analytic view on how to evaluate the outcomes of classic tests and behaviors said to reflect ToM.
- describes a brief history of the concept of Theory of Mind (ToM) (or perspective taking)
- describes what most psychologists mean by ToM, in other words the various ways it is defined
- describes the classic tests most often used to study ToM
- discusses problems with traditional explanations of the results of these tests; and
- offers a behavior-analytic view of the behaviors said to reflect ToM.